Wednesday, February 13

235 Broderick Street


Since Haight-Ashbury is one of my favorite places in the city to hunt for fabulous Victorians, you can understand my astonishment after realizing I have yet to feature a property from the infamous locale. Hopefully this wonderful Buena Vista Park (almost) McMansion makes up for my delinquency.

BUT before I introduce the lovely 235 Broderick, I must must MUST give a little history lesson on WHY I love the Victorian architecture in the Haight-Ashbury region so very much:
Un. It was one of the few areas spared by the fires following the 1906 earthquake - preserving many Victorians from destruction.
Deux. Many Haight-Ashbury Victorians were home to the bohemian subculture of the 1960's, 70's, (and today?)
Trois. Many Haight-Ashbury Victorians reflect the overall colorful and bohemian attitude of the area and of San Francisco in general. AND people seem less fearful to use COLOR in this neighborhood.

Okay, okay, back to the property. 235 Broderick is a 4-level, 4,000 sqft (!!!) estate. Exterior-wise, this house appears jam-packed with personality, but interior-wise, ehh, not so much. Now don't get me wrong, this house is beautiful and completely livable (cough child-proof cough), but it just wasn't what I expected after first seeing the exterior photo. The inside delivers a slathering of cream tones and classic Victorian touches: inlaid floors (I don't think there is a single sqft of carpet in this whole house), stained glass, wainscoting, crown modling, bay windows, built-ins, vintage fireplaces

Here are the facts:
- $2,129,000 , $532/sqft
- 6 beds / 3 baths
- Born: 1900
- 1 car garage
- Garden, patios, cute vintage stove in kitchen

Overall, very beautiful, especially the main floor (what most pictures seem to be of). Some of the bathrooms and (possibly) the kitchen look like they may need some "refreshing."

(note: some of the photos are a bit dull - I blame the mish-mash of "staging")











This property went on the market on 1/18/2008, I'll be curious to see when/for how much it sells for

Listing Agent's Site - limited Pictures

Movoto - More Pictures

MLS - More Pictures

No comments: